Thursday, March 27, 2014

"To a Redbreast--(In Sickness)" by William Wordsworth

Leucistic Robin in my backyard
    


TO A REDBREAST-- (IN SICKNESS) 
by William Wordsworth

          STAY, little cheerful Robin! stay,
            And at my casement sing,
          Though it should prove a farewell lay
            And this our parting spring.

          Though I, alas! may ne'er enjoy
            The promise in thy song;
          A charm, 'that' thought can not destroy,
            Doth to thy strain belong.

          Methinks that in my dying hour
            Thy song would still be dear,                             10
          And with a more than earthly power
            My passing Spirit cheer.

          Then, little Bird, this boon confer,
            Come, and my requiem sing,
          Nor fail to be the harbinger
            Of everlasting Spring.

                                                              1842.

No comments:

Post a Comment